I am just a simple girl who is trying to finish school and prepare for married life. This blog is just an attempt to share some of my struggles with the world and hope that it helps others who may be struggling with the same things.
Saturday, September 19, 2009
Who Wants To Be Like The World?
My parents came to visit this weekend and we made the decision to see the movie Julie and Julia. It was a cute movie, but before the movie had started I found something that both upset and disturbed me. There were a few adds before the movie and one of them was for a body fragrance. Needless to say that what was in front of my eyes was both suggestive and almost indecent. It portrayed two women that apparently could not resist this one man (who I could assume was wearing the body fragrance) and intended to rip his shirt off and rub themselves all over him. I think it can go unsaid that I was extremely uncomfortable and even embarrassed to be watching this with my parents sitting right next to me. I tried to pass it out of my mind when the movie started and enjoy the rest of the night. Later today, however, I found myself thinking about this very inappropriate commercial. I was surprised, yet not surprised that it was a public add. I immediately had the thought that what if a child had been with me? I would have immediately covered their eyes and probably have told the employees that I did not appreciate the ad and felt it was inappropriate. I realize that unfortunately this is the way the world has become. It is completely focused on pleasure and sex. The world has become so corrupt and wicked, which again makes me ask the question of why so many churches feel they need to be more like world. Have they not thought about the consequences of this? It just seems like spiritual suicide to do such a thing. Why would you jeopardize your faith just to bring a bigger audience on Sunday morning? More Christians need to face the fact that what a preacher has to say on a Sunday morning not everyone is going to want to hear and that is because it is the truth. Who after all wants to be told that they are a sinner and can do nothing to redeem themselves? It is within our human nature to want to have some hand in our salvation, but what people need to realize is that we are sinful human beings worthy of nothing but damnation from God, but that through the death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ are sins are forgiven and that we are given mercy and life everlasting. I know that people don't want to hear that they are sinners and useless in God's eyes, but that is what they need to hear in order to fully appreciate the sacrifice and gift that God has given to us. And the sooner they realize it, the better.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment