Monday, September 27, 2010

Aches and Pains

So I again know I haven't posted in awhile. I really am trying to be better about this keeping a blog thing. Seems it is going to just have to be made a habit somehow. You know I got to thinking the other day about my life in general and all of the blessings that I have. I have great friends, a wonderful family, and marvelous fiance. All of this is such a blessing. Then I noticed that the things I was thankful for weren't the big things in life, but the little ones. I wasn't happy because of all the things I possessed, I was happy because of the people God has allowed me to be surrounded with.
How many times have we made some big fuss over something we owned or something we want? How many times have we let those wants and desires hinder our sight of God? It isn't a bad thing to own possessions. I am not saying that, but as soon as they become a hindrance to your faith...it is time to reassess your life. In fact, I was just talking to a dear friend the other day about this very thing. She had decided to get rid of some of her possessions that she truly loved because she felt that they were hindering her faith. At first I honestly thought she was being over dramatic, but then the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I did the same thing. How many times had something I wanted or something I possessed distracted me? I can say that countless times I have let "things" get in the way of not only my faith, but in my relationships with other people as well. And in the end, when I assess the things that are important in my life, I realize that I always pick the people God has blessed to surround me with. These people are always there for me and truly mean to help me in my walk with God. And in the end
God has blessed me with something even more precious than these wonderful people. He has blessed me with His mercy and the sacrifice of His son Jesus Christ.
So in the end I realize that no amount of "things" in my life can replace the blessing of my salvation. So I leave you with this passage my friends:

"One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to see the beauty of the Lord and seek him in his temple. For in the days of trouble, he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock. Then my head will be exalted above the enemies that surround me; at his tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy; I will sing and make music to the Lord."
-Psalm 27:4-6

Praise be to God for His mercy and sacrifice! I will sing and make music to the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment